Top Tunes


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

Wednesday 15 December 2010

EVALUATION: In What Ways Does Your Music Magazine Use, Develop Or Challenge Forms And Conventions Of Existing Music Magazines ?

The Features Of Music Magazines That I Have Used On My Publication Are :
  • masthead
  • strapline
  • date
  • price
  • barcode
  • cover lines
  • main image
  • puffs
Masthead

I have followed the strongly used convention of a masthead in my media product, I have kept my masthead at the top of my front cover down to the fact that this is where the audience are used to seeing the title, it is the norm for my potential audience. On an added note, if my masthead wasn’t at the top of my front cover the title of my magazine will not be seen when they are stacked up in a shop.
Magazine shelf stacking
Only a small percentage of the magazines are at the front of the shelf, those behind rely on their strong masthead to draw attention.


Puffs

I have used a relatively small number of puffs on my front cover - this goes against many typical music magazines for example this Kerrang music magazine front cover. It shows many puffs lined at the top and bottom of the page, filling the front page with eye catching examples as to why to by the magazine. Whereas my magazine uses less puffs in a more stylised approach, they help to create a constant style across the page - the puffs help make the front cover appear more organised and professional.
The colouring of my puffs also allows to stand out, I have done this with the big, bold bright pink puffs that stand out whn being anchored ontop of a black image. This allows the potential readers to acknowledge the bigger stories in the magazine, the stories that are exclusive to that magazine or just the stories that have more pages dedicated to them.

Main Image

I have used an average amount of images on my front cover, like traditional music magazine front covers I have incorporated the trend of a massive, overpowering main image. I have decided to do this for mainly because it shows the main focus on my artist - a music magazine based on pop has to surely showcase pop acts.
The image I  used help promote the pop music scene that my magazine focuses on, with the image of a  glamorous teenage girl. The main image I have used helps promote a focused and friendly figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment